instagram

50° Settecolli. Goodbye Rome

Settecolli 2013
images/joomlart/article/large/7aed69d1de6ffa646d8fd2cd946f9671.jpg

The great swimming stars say goodbye to the Foro Italico. In the last day of the International 50th Edition of the Settecolli Trophy, Federica Pellgrini has won the 200 backstroke in 2'08''60, very close to the Italian record of Alessia Filippi (2'08''03, Pescara) and Piero Codia, who estabilshes the new Italian record in the 50 butterfly in 23''58, beat the previous record of Paolo Facchinelli (23''60 , Riccione). Rewarding Federica Pellegrini was Raoul Bova, world champion of 100 butterfly in the television fiction " Come un delfino - La serie" live on Canale 5 and filmed mostly in the Federal Center of Ostia and Stadio Del Nuoto at Foro Italico.

Athlete's Declaration. The first Italian athlete to win a medal today was Martina de Memme, silver medallist in the 800 freestyle. "It's the second time I get really close to the limit-time for the World Championships in Barcellona without any success. It's all experience which helps me become stronger. Obviously, there is some disappointment but I tried my best. No regrets!". Gold medal for the Danish champions Lotte Friis. "I now train in France. This makes me happy, and it's really close to Rome too. My goal is to win a medal at Barcellona, because I wasn't able to do so in London." Christopher Ciccarese is quite happy for his silver medal in the 200 backstroke, behind Hungarian Bernek. " It's a great achievement. In the beginning I was tense and afraid to do something wrong. I owe my coach a lot, because two years ago I was down below." Federica Pellegrini is tired but she smiles after the 200 backstroke she won in 2'08''60. She was really close to to the Alessia Filippi's Italian record, missing it by 57''. I'm really happy. I wasn't counting on swimming under 2'09''. It's one second less than the time that me and my coach had agreed on. Swimming in backstroke is really fun for me, this makes me even more competitive. This year's goal was to qualify for the World Championships of Barcellona in the 200 backstroke, race I never competed in before. We'll see at the World Championships. One race at the time." Bronze medallist and italian record in the 50 butterfly for Piero Codia. " I'm really happy of the record. Being able to gain a medal with these great champions is already a great achievement.
Ranomi Kromowidjojo won the women's 50 butterfly. " I'm really happy. This race was great, just like the others. I'll go home for one week, and then we'll see each other in Barcellona. "
Filippo Magnini won silver medal in the 100 freestyle behind French Athlete Florent Manaudou. He is quite satisfied. " It's been a tough race, I'm really happy. In the afternoon one can always be stronger. From here the next step is Barcellona." Camille Muffat, Olympic champion of 400 freestyle and vice olympic champion of the 200 won the final of the 200 freestyle. " I'm really tired, but satisfied of my result!". Third and bronze medal for Alice Mizzau. " I'm happy that I performed a regular race. I was interested in managing the race while competing with athletes of such level, rather than the time." Gregorio Paltrinieri smiles after the silver medal won in the 1500 freestyle. " These races went well. I trained to the best and am really satisfied."

In between the men's 100 freestyle and the women's 200 freestyle, space dedicated to the men's paralympic 100 freestyle (yesterday the women's final), won by Fabrizio Sottile , visually handicapped, italian record holder in the 100 butterfly and 200 medley, who performed in 55'40. Federico Morlacchi, three bronze medals at the London 2012 paralympics in the 100 butterfly, 200 medley and 400 freestlye, from Varese like Sottile, swam in 57''88. " Being able to compete in this Trophy and in this pool is a great emotion and opportunity - says Morlacchi- the participation of the paralympic races in the Settecolli Trophy is a great achievement for all of us. I thank all the audience who participated".

Cesare Butini, head coach says. " This Trophy was both an important moment for the Italian Athletes who already qualified for the upcoming championships of Barcellona and those atheletes who were still not qualified. These include Filippo Magnini, already qualified for the relay races, who obtained an important time and a competitive race in line with future projects. Before the World Champions in Barcellona, some Italian athletes will see themselves busy at the Mediterranean Games and Universiade Games. The teams are still to be defined. Thinking about the World Championships, it will be difficult to repeat the results of Shanghai 2011, but I'm sure that athletes and coach will maintain high concentration, preparation and commitment. We have to choose a mix of young and older athletes, capable of fully concentrating in the upcomning appointments. We highly rely on breastroke swimmer Fabio Scozzoli, Luca Dotto in sprinting, Gregorio Paltrinieri in the long distance and Matteo Rivolto in the butterfly, where he re-gained international importance. We're still missing a competitive athlete for the men's medley relay race. In terms of women, Federica Pellegrini was protagonist in backstroke, and Ilaria Bianchi in butterfly, who has a lot of competition.

Declarations of FIN and LEN President Paolo Barelli. " This 50th edition of the Settecolli Trophy has been special, with many international swimming stars participating. Today, the audience was enthusiastic. Many are the requests for next year already. Amongst those international athletes who have surprised me are the Dutch, they have re confirmed their lead in sprinting. Also, olympic Champion Camille Muffat, who obtained the best seasonal times here in Rome, surprised me a lot. Amongst the Italian athletes, great performances by Fabio Scozzoli in all three races in breastroke, Federica Pellegirni, in the 200 backstroke, who with one second less could aim to a medal at the World Championships, and Filippo Magnini, who went under the 49'' in the 100 freestyle , competeing with 50 freestyle Olympic CHampion Florent Manaudou. If he improves in the start and the turn he could do even better. In the long distance great performance for Gregorio Paltrinieri, while Gabriele Detti has had some problems with the shoulder, but is ready to compete for the next races.

Nation Result

1. Ungheria 77
2. Italia 66
2. Olanda 66
4. Francia 62
5. Brasile 31
6. Svezia 30
7. Danimarca 17
8. Russia 12
9. Ucraina 9
10. Romania 6
11. Repubblica Ceca 4